Easy ways to share the message of Jesus for today’s fast-paced lives using Mel Gibson’s new movie Hacksaw Ridge.
Goodbye Braveheart, hello Hacksaw Ridge. Mel Gibson received a staggering 10-minute standing ovation for his latest director efforts at the Venice Film Festival, last month. The Sydney Morning Herald reported “Gibson’s comeback film is . . . expected to be a serious contender at the Oscars later this year”.
With such a moving portrayal which tells the true story of Desmond Doss, a Seventh-day Adventist Christian who saved 75 men during World War II, there isn’t much we need to do share our hope-filled faith with others. But if you feel sharing your faith doesn’t come naturally to you, Hacksaw Ridge just gave you at least seven new opportunities!
Try these 7 simple ideas.
- Talk to friends who have seen the movie – share that you’re a Seventh-day Adventist and discuss questions they may have.
- Give out Hero of Hacksaw Ridge books (available in bulk, 100+ from your local conference, or smaller quantities at your local Adventist Book Centre).
- Pray that those who see the film are inspired to seek and experience faith in Jesus.
- Share a faithofdoss.com card/flier (available from your local conference office).
- Share/like/email the faithofdoss.com website, articles and offers on your social media accounts.
- Invite friends over for a Friday night/Saturday meal so they can experience Sabbath with you.
- Organise and invite friends to a Faith of Doss weekend at your local church within three weeks of the movie premiere (November 3). For eg. Friday night – Conscientious Objector Documentary viewing; Sabbath – Talk on the gift of the Sabbath; Sabbath afternoon – Talk on “Who are the SDA’s?”
This is just a start to the many other opportunities you may find to share one man’s hope in Jesus, and with prayer and your imagination, anything is possible.
How else could you use Hacksaw Ridge to share your faith?